Xen schreef op 27-12-2016 23:13:

Lost my temper there, Winston would say. Yes, I play video games too.
What's the problem with that? You have a problem with that too? :).

Also still want to add, If I may.

That even Mediawiki probably doesn't provide all the tools you'd need to completely circumvent the filesystem.

For example, no one in his right mind would probably use Media-wiki specific tools to back up the database. Also Media-wiki probably stores all content in the database, so it is not even equivalent here.

Those people who say you are doing the wrong thing would also resort to the wrong thing if shit hit the fan. And that's all I can say about it. If they really ended up in a problem situation they would *also* do that "wrong thing" to solve the problem and get or keep their company running, for instance.

When in a practical situation all those petty concerns about what is right and what is wrong do not matter anymore. What matters then is results and nothing else. That, I wanted to say here.

You will use the appropriate tools to solve the problem at hand NOW, yes, you too will do that. And if the "right tools" won't do that, you will use the "wrong tools" because they then actually yield results whereas the "right tools" don't for example because they do not even exist.

I really wonder if anyone here backs up a Media-wiki database for example by using some Media-wiki "export" function or if in fact you back up the (MySQL) database yourself. I really think I can predict all of us are going to use filesystem tools indeed. And not Media-wiki tools.

Drupal for instance has "drush sql-dump" to export the (MySQL) database but are you seriously going to use that every time you export or back-up the database? Why should you?

I don't like snapshots but they are certainly the easiest way to back-up any filesystem without interruption. And even if you didn't mysqldump might still be the more appropriate tool (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/mysqldump.html) and will cover other databases as well (tables) (and besides) drush sql-dump uses mysqldump too.

Everyone in the right position would use the "wrong" tool because it would work whereas the "right" tool would not or would not even be available. When it comes down to it, practical matters supersede theoretical concerns, but you can't see this from the comfort of your seat into another person's computer or site or server.

So please, some leniency with the "inadequacies" of other people because they might be doing the right thing whereas you can't see that they do because you do not have the information for it. Not all situations are identical and everyone chooses the appropriate path for him or herself.

I hope that is enough now.

Regards.