On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:30:31AM -0400, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> dpkg-reconfigure doesn't help, nor dpkg -i apt-get.

"apt-get" exists in the "apt" package, but "dpkg -i" takes an argument to
a local .deb archive, not a package name. Try downloading a .deb of apt
for your version of debian and architecture (e.g. amd64 for stable/jessie
=> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/apt bottom of the page) and running

        dpkg -i <path to downloaded .deb file>

This might fail with missing dependencies. If so, you can attempt to manually
download them too, and then retry, this time adding the dependencies to the
dpkg invocation:

        dpkg -i <path to .deb file 1> <path to .deb file 2>

This may need repeating for missing dependencies for the second .deb.

If you still have your install media handy, mounting them might speed this
process up as the necessary .deb files will all be on there (modulo security
updates since then).

But you might tire of playing whack'a'mole with missing .deb dependencies with
the above technique: it's hard to say how many there might be or how long this
process might take, to weigh up whether to do this or just reinstall.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland