Anil Duggirala composed on 2017-05-23 08:24 (UTC-0500):

> I have upgrade to Stretch, and my system is loading the graphical
> interface (Gnome). However, I believe my graphics are sluggish, video
> playback at some points starts freezing and sometimes just becomes

Playback of what? With which player? All players? SMplayer? VLC? MPV? Kodi?

> unwatchable (it starts using up a lot of CPU power). In the
> recommendations here
> (https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Intel/NUC5PPYH) it says to
> install non-free firmware, the Debian installer asked for
> firmware-realtek, I provided it and I believe that I installed. But what
> non-free firmware could possible correct my graphics problems? what am I

Show us what firmware is currently installed:

        dpkg -l | grep mware

If firmware-linux-free is already installed, as it should be, unless there's
something in firmware-misc-nonfree and it is not installed, I don't think adding
any more firmware will help you. Realtek is only ever about network or sound.

> missing. I am happy my sytem is working, but graphics work better in>
> Windows, and that is morally inacceptable to me

Now that you've switched to Stretch we need to see /var/log/Xorg.0 again.
Send it to https://paste.debian.net/

It might be helpful to report your problem on the Intel video driver mailing
list: