Anil Duggirala composed on 2017-05-24 09:12 (UTC-0500):

> hello, I pasted my Xorg log at https://paste.debian.net/938243
> Fungi: this is an Asus X441SA laptop, is this also mix and match laptop?
> I did a clean install from Debian installer of Stretch, nothing is left
> from previous Jessie.
> swithching *dm is still a valid idea in this case?

Given that that log contains no (EE) errors, switching to a different DE might
be a solution.

That log also reports the modeset(0) driver is in use. It's possible that the
Intel driver would work better. If you wish to try the Intel driver and

        dpkg -l | grep intel

does not return

        xserver-xorg-video-intel

then do

        apt install xserver-xorg-video-intel

and

        cp /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xorg.conf /etc/X11

followed by login manager restart or reboot. Then report results and provide
Xorg.0.log on https://paste.debian.net again if not a satisfactory improvement.
Also if not improved, do

        journalctl | grep failed

and post that result here if fairly short, or on https://paste.debian.net/ if
extensive.

Also, try a different WM/DE, as this problem could be limited to Gnome. FWIW, I
use TDE on Stretch, installed via these instructions:
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianInstall

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/