On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:36:17AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Greg Wooledge composed on 2017-06-20 11:14 (UTC-0400):
> > When you run a terminal emulator within an X session, you *typically*
> > get a non-login shell, which reads ~/.bashrc only.
> .
> Interesting. Which WM(s)/DE(s) do/does that apply to?

Depends on the config, and the terminal emulator as well.  A standard
WM menu should simply run the terminal emulator (e.g. urxvt) with
no options, which will then run a regular (non-login) shell.

However, some people configure their WMs to launch their terminals with
the "-ls" or equivalent option, which forces a login shell.  This is
common in academic environments, for example.  I think the rationale is
that it makes life simpler for non-sophisticated users, who will just
put their aliases in whatever dot file they happen to stumble across;
forcing a login shell means *all* the dot files get read, so they get
fewer support calls.