On 2017-06-23 at 16:46, Maureen L Thomas wrote:

> On 06/22/2017 02:32 AM, deloptes wrote:
>
>> Maureen L Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> I just updated some packages and it upgraded me to stretch.  That
>>> is all fine but I cannot get flash to work yet again.  Is there
>>> any help out there for this program.  I even installed Chromium
>>> with pepperflash and it won't work either.  Any help would be
>>> greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> I am running on an AMD A8, Toshiba satellite, with stretch.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Maureen
>> did you try firefox-esr? post what is exactly installed
>
> Yes I did try firefox-esr and it doesn't work.  I have installed
> flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.6.1+deb8u1 and pepperflashplugin-nonfree
> 1.8.1+deb8u1

When did you run the flashplugin-nonfree install?

As far as I can determine, that package has been in a nonworking state
since January, to the point where it was left out of the stretch
release. That's not because of any problem in the package internals, but
because something changed *outside of* the package - in particular, on
Adobe's Website - and something *else* outside of the package has not
been updated to match.

What that package does is see what Flash-for-Linux version is available
on Adobe's Website, download a hash file for that same version from one
Debian developer's personal Debian Webspace, download the Flash
installer from Adobe's Website, then compare the installer's hash
against the one from the hash file. This happens automatically at
download, and can be triggered manually later by running
'update-flashplugin-nonfree --install'. The apparent purpose of all of
this is to make sure that what the package downloads and runs isn't
malicious code (due to e.g. domain hijacking).

What happened in January is that Adobe released a new Flash version, and
no one copied a matching hash file into place. Several new Flash
versions have been released since then, with no more reaction, despite
several bug reports on this subject (most or all of which have been
merged into one in the bugtracker, so plainly the Debian developers know
about the issue).

Without the hash file, existing versions of this package will never be
able to download the Flash installer, and so installing or gpgrading
Flash will fail. If you download the Flash installer from Adobe
yourself, and run it (as root, with any needed options) yourself, it
should still work - but the flashplugin-nonfree package itself is
currently useless, and that's why it wasn't included with the stretch
release.

I've been concerned about this exact failure state, in lesser form
(unreasonable delay in getting access to security fixes), ever since I
first noticed that the package was pulling an upstream-version-specific
file from a place apparently controlled by only one single person...

--
   The Wanderer