Kaj Persson composed on 2017-07-09 14:54 (UTC+0200):

> * Regarding access to my user directory: During my search I did in fact
> find some files and directories owned by user root or group root. These
> are changed to be owned by my user id and group id, but this did not
> help. By the way, On this computer I have always had just one user,
> mine, and hence got the user id 1000 and group id 1000. This is the case
> now too.
Are you 100% sure you found and corrected 100% of bad ones? Does 1000:1000 own
$HOME? X session settings not saved is virtually always bad file permissions or
errant ownership. Anything that got stolen by root:root via errant sudo or su
will almost certainly have to be fixed as root, exception being via a
superwizard who would unlikely ever have gotten into this trouble in the first
place.

You really don't need to hunt for any that are bad unless you care to know which
are causing the trouble. Simply do as root:

        chown -R 1000:1000 /home/kaj/

using whatever your actual username is rather than kaj.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/