Hi,

Erik Christiansen wrote:
> Would it be impertinent to enquire why the malfunctioning install option
> is not disabled, when it only serves to tarnish the reputation of debian?

I understand that the future of Debian live ISOs depends on the
contribution by developers and users. See
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2017/06/msg00059.html
  "IMPORTANT: Do live Debian images have a future?"
by its not-so-voluntary maintainer.

One should possibly coordinate the optimism of
  https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
with the warnings on
  https://get.debian.org/images/release/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/#issues
This could possibly be enhanced by the warning that currently the
live USB stick wants to see a CD-ROM.

But first the problem would have to be reported to debian-live mailing
list or to the bug tracker for package "cdimage.debian.org" (i assume
from the bug reports on #issues).
Maybe it can be fixed instead of permanently blocking that installation
path.

> A lot of
> effort went into preventing the release of buggy software.

That's not so easy when the users begin testing only after release.

Now it's up to them to duely report problems, to help with reproducing
(a virtual machine way would probably make it easier for developers to
adopt the issue), and to test proposed remedies.

> Mind you, ubuntu 16.04 doesn't install on the Udoo X86 either, bombing
> at boot block installation.

One would have to report to Ubuntu and/or GRUB, depending on the symptoms
of failure. Especially if your mainboard is exotic and probably not in
reach of the developers.

Well, let's see whether the Debian installation ISOs bring you nearer
to your goal.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas