Am 30. Jul, 2017 schwätzte rpr // so:

On 30 July 2017 at 22:05, Curt <cu...@free.fr> wrote:

I'm not quite following here. -no-remote allows you to run multiple
Firefox instances simultaneously (profile1 and profile2 at the same
time, let's say). However you cannot open external links in the
-no-remote instance (link in an email, for example--perhaps that's what
you mean by "do not want the links automatically opened to open in this
instance").

Curt, have a look at the following page that explains -no-remote and
other command line options in more detail:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Command_Line_Options

Implies -new-instance. Hmm, might have to move to -no-remote.

As to keeping things completely separate, beware flash and other
applications that have per user cookies. Flash cookies, less known as local
share objects, are stored in ~/ rather than in
~/.Mozilla/firefox/$random.$profile_name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object

It's been a while since I audited to see what all cheats.

Using another account ( the sudo tip elsewhere ) or a container will give
better separation.

I like containers for my test or single-use environments because I can
easily move the container if I need it elsewhere. Destruction when no
longer needed is also complete.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.refer2404.org https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  But getting smart is a tricky business. The smartest people I've ever met