On Thursday, September 14, 2017 03:56:38 AM to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 03:32:33PM -0400, Steve Kleene wrote:
> > My employer is forcing me to shut down my long-time Linux mail server.  I
> > have no choice in the matter.
> >
> > My employer uses Microsoft Exchange/Outlook for mail.  They have an
> > Outlook Web App (OWA) that I can access from Firefox, but as far as I
> > can tell you cannot save a file to the local disk with OWA.  That makes
> > OWA pretty useless.  The documentation, if it can be believed, says that
> > I can access Outlook with POP3 and IMAP4 programs including Thunderbird.
>
> As others have said, IMAP is the best path (if the Exchannge server is
> set up for it).

I'm sort of moving OT, but want to ask: presumably you think IMAP is
preferable to POP3--what makes you say that (in general)?

It's been a long time since i chose to use pop3 instead of imap--in fact,
iirc, imap became an option later, and my decision was more whether to stick
with pop3 or switch to imap.

I prefer pop3 because it (in most cases, unless set otherwise or dealing with
gmail) deletes the email from the email server, which is what I prefer.

I presume imap gives you an option to delete mail from the server?

I recognize that leaving email on the server can make it easier to access your
email from multiple devices, but (1) I rarely have that need (maybe not in the
last 10 years), and (2), when I do, I can set pop3 to leave email on the
server (but, iirc, I typically set my "main" email device to delete it from
the server--iirc, if I didn't, I'd keep getting the same emails sent to me
over and over--but maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.