Jessie

Expect quit working this morning. I use it for several rootly duties.

Aptitude claims that expect is installed, but not configured, and it
can't finish. And it won't let me remove it. Every time I do something
with aptitude, it tries to finish configuring expect, whines about the
condition of the package, and fails. (The other stuff is installed
OK.)

Apt-get remove said the package is in terrible shape and I should
reinstall. I did that and it installed again, complained about the
state of the package, said it couldn't configure, and quit. Expect
started working again, though.

I'd like to get the apts to either quit whining about the state of
things, finish the configuration, or at least allow me to remove all
the relevant files so I can reinstall. I've tried to find the files
dpkg uses to remember where things are, and delete them, with no
change whatever in apt's behavior.

What do I do next?

--
Glenn English