On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Greg Wooledge <wool...@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 07:22:48PM +0000, Glenn English wrote:
>> All I need to know is how to get all the Debian install software to
>> forget that there was ever a package called expect on this system.
>
> dpkg --purge expect   # is as close as you can get

Tried that. Then to see what happened, I installed Chromium in
aptitude. Chromium installed, then aptitude:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of expect:
 expect depends on tcl-expect; however:
  Package tcl-expect:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package expect (--configure):
 tcl-expect:amd64
 expect
Failed to perform requested operation on package.  Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of expect:
 expect depends on tcl-expect; however:
  Package tcl-expect:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package expect (--configure):
 expect
Press Return to continue.

Didn't work. Expect still does, though.

It's getting time to move from Jessie. I think I should just quit
worrying about this.

Thanks for your thoughts, Greg.

--
Glenn English