> From: scdbac...@gmx.net
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> Hi,

> i wrote:
>> > (This is just one way to copy the directory tree out of the ISO into
>> > a disk tree. xorriso packs them up and packs them out.)
>
>> I assumed that using xorriso on both ends would give me a "byte for byte"
>> copy.
>
> No, that"s the job of "dd" or similar copy programs.

> You will have to teach it by configuration file entries like described in
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2/Chainloading
> https://superuser.com/questions/154133/grub-boot-from-iso
> I wrote some remarks about that to Ethan Andrews in
> "Re: How do I boot a Debian 9.1.0 amd64 iso from GRUB?"
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/09/msg00516.html
>
> Your mileage may vary when the booted kernel expands its realm from
> the initial RAM-disk to the ISO filesystem in the partition. It depends
> much on the software in the initial RAM-disk and in the ISO whether
> this will work.
>
> Pascal Hambourg mentions problems with the initial RAM-disk content in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/09/msg00566.html
>
> Felix Miata pointed to the naked kernels and initial RAM-disk images
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/09/msg00568.html
> I guess he means things like
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/
> sparsely described in
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/MANIFEST

> If you do not want to modify the installed GRUB on the hard disk on that
> system, then you will need a GRUB on that USB stick which gets preferred
> by the firmware over the GRUB on hard disk, and then does the booting
> of the operating system in the ISO.

>> > But actually you want a runnable normal GNU/Linux.
>
>> I want a "thingy/dodad/whatsit" that will install Debian to another
>> location, be it device or partition.
>
> If you do not want to unpack the ISO then you cannot directly modify files.
> (I assume ISO 9660 multi-session is not what you intend, but rather
> normal filesystem operations from the running operating system.)
>
> So you would need a separate writable filesystem and overlay it over
> the ISO when the operating system is running. But a Debian installation
> ISO is not prepared for doing that out of the box, afaik.
> So you would have to make your own ISO which has such capabilities.
>
> The hard part is modifying an unpacked Debian installation ISO so that
> it can do what you want when it gets started from an ISO in a partition.
> Maybe the pieces mentioned by Felix Miata can help.
>
> Packing up such ISO would not be difficult. One would not have to
> make it bootable by firmware by MBR or EFI system partition, because your
> USB stick"s GRUB would be set up to be started by the firmwares.
>
> Question at that point is of course why one would want to have a read-only
> [...]

It is hard to believe that this conversation can exist in a bubble of the
time/space
continuum without the term "refracta" in it.  The most fascinating piece of
software
or should I say family of sftw. since the time of space invaders.

Unless I am missing some fact about being unable to port refracta to debian,
which
I doubt very much.  What is also absurd is that Thomas is involved in this
conversation
while refracta is heavily relying on xorisso.

If I didn't know better I would have thought that Thomas wrote refracta himself.
Have two wonderful days, botho yas.