On 2017-10-21, Darac Marjal <mailingl...@darac.org.uk> wrote:

> A car is a small passenger vehicle. A van is not a car, a truck is not a
> car. I'm not entirely sure if an SUV is a car and Utes are just... well,
> thankfully I've not had to decide about one of them in a Captcha yet.

A pipe isn't even a pipe (ceci n'est pas une pipe).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

> Also, as ever, there's a relevant XKCD comic: https://xkcd.com/1897/.

That's exactly it. As G. themselves say:

 reCAPTCHA offers more than just spam protection. Every time our
 CAPTCHAs are solved, that human effort helps digitize text, annotate
 images, and build machine learning datasets. This in turn helps
 preserve books, improve maps, and solve hard AI problems.

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/invisible.html

The future is now, I guess; we've been enlisted as (un)knowing slaves by
our digital machines. The real catch is that it is the same for whatever
we do on the global network; it's all being harvested, digested,
utilized; soon they will know us so much better than we know them, the
better to bend us to their cryptic wills.

I'm pulling the plug.

Adieu, kids.

--
"A simpering Bambi narcissist and a thieving, fanatical Albanian dwarf."
Christopher Hitchens, commenting shortly after the nearly concurrent deaths