On Sun 22 Apr 2018 at 11:10:24 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 21 Apr 2018 at 12:43:54 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:

> > Please comment.
>
> One might assume that the script could have a unencrypted option to
> select between a number of "important passwords", each of which might
> be a long, complex, unmemorable string, subject to frequent changes,
> and (or because) exposed to the rest of the world.
>
> OTOH the passphrase protecting the script might be a single, simple,
> fixed, memorable string only exposed to users on the machine in question.

I thought I had indicated my intention to take the advice offered and
put the important password (a master password) in a separate file and
source it from the script.

The script itself does not need encrypting if the master password is
not in it. However, I would not want the separate file unencryted
because the master password gives access to passwords for all sorts of
websites.

Users actually have to know this master password. It is a long phrase,
not too hard to memorise but tedious to type. As I have said, encrypting
the separate file with scrypt allows me to get the decryption password
down to a more user-friendly 14 characters. The prompting for the
password is done by scrypt. There is no point in multiple people having
different passwords. All users here are trusted.

--
Brian.