On Tue, 29 May 2018 11:51:31 +0200 Siard sent:

> > But when I go Ctrl-O when in Kate or Lyx the order is reversed.
>
> I tried Kate. To reverse the order, click the 'Name' header.
> Note the small black triangle at the right side of the header
> pointing up or down.

        After contemplation, my reply is:

Thank you Siard.

It must be an idiosyncrasy of FVWM, that it doesn't show that little
spin control there?

I just tried it again in both programs to be certain. There is nothing
there, and no matter what I point and click on, there is nothing that
will change the order of the directories and files.

I have no idea what file manager they use.

I have tried  aptitude search file-manager and aptitude search
filemanager and apt policy filemanager and many others ways including
which filemanager and all different ways of speling.

But I can't find what file managers are installed to see which one
might be being used and need configuring. All those requests come up
empty.

I wonder how one discovers what file managers there are installed on
this system. I suppose have to name each one and see which are installed
that way.

No joy yet.

Thank you for your reply.
Charlie
--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        If anything in nature strikes you as ugly, you are not
        appreciating its diversity. - anon

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.