On Thu, 31 May 2018 10:42:17 +1200 Richard Hector sent:

> On 30/05/18 11:12, Charlie S wrote:

> >>  xdg-mime query default inode/directory
> >>
> >> works here (xdg-mime is part of xdg-utils) to discover the default
> >> file manager on my machine.
> >>
> >> curty@einstein:~$ xdg-mime query default inode/directory
> >> pcmanfm.desktop
> >>
> >> Of course that wasn't the question you were asking, but it's the
> >> answer I'm giving.
> >

> >     After contemplation, my reply is:
> >
> > Thanks Curt,
> >
> > Siard had the thing right. There was a spin tiller, but because my
> > file manager window was too small, it wasn't in the picture.
> >
> > It does beg the question, if that window has always been so small
> > how did I change the order of the way the file manager presented the
> > directories and files? There must be a key combination shortcut that
> > would do it? Maybe?
>
> You can click anywhere on the Name header to switch the order, so you
> don't have to be able to see the indicator. I often click on those
> things by mistake.
>
> Richard

Thank you Richard. As you described, I must have changed it in the
first place. I did wonder. I must have done what you did and clicked
into that space, not noticed and then discovered it later.

You never stop learning. Till they screw down the lid on the coffin, and
even that is a lesson I suppose.

Thank you,
Charlie

        After contemplation, my reply is:

--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        A free society is a place where it is safe to be unpopular.
        --Adlai Stevenson

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.