On 07/22/2018 04:07 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 07/21/2018 04:46 PM, cyaiplexys wrote:
On 07/21/2018 11:42 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
When I'm "ignorant" and know it, I refer to myself as a "newbie".
My first contact with Linux was when Squeeze was just introduced.
I've been around computers for a while [remember 12AX7 based CPU's?]. As a BSEE student 50+ years ago I took an introductory programming course. Later I programmed in 8080 assembler - at the time we were moving to 8085. As a consumer I ended up in the M$ land.

So, how would this group have me to refer to myself without claiming competency I just *DO NOT* have?

Wizard. With that many years of experience in computers in general,

Let's say I and computers have crossed paths a number of times. The only time I was hired for my computer competency ended in %$$%^&( ! ;/ When I did 8080 assembler, I was hired for my experience with low frequency millivolt signals and a project needed someone who wasn't awestruck by computers.

I think you earned at least that much. Actually, IMHO the answer should be "Whatever the hell you want to call yourself." :) IOW, it's entirely up to you.

If you are trying to find a label that everyone can understand you by, well, I don't know if labels really work that well since many people have many views on what a certain label even means.

It's not so much I'm looking for a label me, rather as a flag that the question is one a newbie would ask. I ask it because I'm missing some factoid that "everybody knows" but not I.

Well, a simple statement to the effect of "I am good with computers but this is one topic I'm not familiar with." type thing should do the trick, I would think. Or "I just started learning about this subject..."

What I do is try to briefly mention (if it's even necessary) that I have a lot of experience using Linux but am stumped on a certain problem as I don't often deal with that situation. No harm in that, I think. After all, Linux stuff is so vast that not everyone can know every single thing about it. Thus why we have these groups. :)

I've been programming for 35+ years myself. And been there when dial-up BBSs were a thing (I am sure you remember those) even before there was such a thing as "Internet".

P.S. I've saved ~6 years of useful posts from this group. I've been trying to figure out how to organize it in order to create a QWSBFA rather than a FAQ. QWSBFA=="Questions Which Should Be Frequently Asked" ;/

OWL ducks fer cover ;}

I assume you mean for your own computer (since anyone can use Google to search the lists).

Yes. Originally I saved them locally as a convenience - was on dial-up. Now, using SeaMonkey, I have a choice of tagging a post with a choice of >30 tags (some times with multiple tags).

I use Thunderbird (which has the same feature) so I think I know where you're coming from. I do that with things too and then I eventually go through my Archives folder (where I place those tagged items) and get them moved off to my CherryTree notes or links.

Try CherryTree. I use that program for everything. It's cross-platform. I download it from the web site instead of using the version in the Debian Repo as the latest version fixes some annoying bugs (of which I kinda forgot what but would quickly be reminded if I used the repo version).

I browsed its manual then installed the version in the Debian Repo. It should address two problems:
   1. finding relevant posts.
   2. organizing my bookmarks folder. Like Topsy it just grew.

I think as long as you don't need it for code snippets, you should be OK. But the newer version may have new useful features. It depends on what you need. I think one annoyance was the background color on the code snippets. I keep a LOT of code snippets in various languages (especially for work).

I think that would be useful for categorizing questions and you can even search through them. If you want to save to PDF or HTML, it can export to those formats as well.

I've used CherryTree for everything from keeping code snippets to installation instructions to writing up tutorials (and exporting to HTML).