<mailingli...@mattcrews.com> wrote:
> >> Personally, I have a low degree of trust for Mega.nz, so caveat
> >> emptor.
> >
> > Why do you say that?  (serious question!)  Have there been reports
> > of problems?
> >
> > Enjoy!
> > Rick
>
> A few reasons:
>
> 1. Kim Dotcom vs the United States. There is a strong chance Mr.
> Dotcom will be extradited to the United States (due to Megaupload and
> other criminal accusations), and will leave Mega without functional
> leadership.

That, from what I've read in the last 3 or 4 days, is essentially a done
deal. It was said he's been "detained", presumably so our people can
pick him up in the middle of the night when they can arrange the flight.

> 2. In light of Megaupload being shut down, there's no guarantee that
> Mega won't have the same fate at some point, considering the services
> are basically identical.
>
> 3. Their server software is not auditable. Even though the client-side
> and API are public, unless the server side is auditable, you cannot
> effectively trust it any better than Google Drive or Dropbox. Of
> course, few storage providers are, and even if they are, you should be
> using client-side encryption that you control, anyway.
>
> 4. There's always been something shady about Mega that I can't put my
> finger on.

Yeah, I looked at the site once 3 years or so back, and found its thirst
for personal info plumb scary. Haven't looked since.

> Granted, these aren't the strongest reasons, but for me they are
> strong enough. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Those chances are pretty slim IMO.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett