On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:49:53AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
[ re pulseaudio ]
No, it's not a dependency, but it's just one more thing to have to
deal with, picking over which Recommends make a lot of sense to
install and which don't; hence the warning.

Apparently Endless¹ implemented a "recommends blacklist" to address a
similar situation. I'm aware of others who have built local empty
packages that conflict against things they never want to install
(systemd iirc). I've never tried either, so I can't vouch for their
efficacy. I wonder if it would be nice for apt to have a feature so that
a user could mark packages "never install".

¹ https://endlessos.com/

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland