On Mon Sep 10 08:47:39 EDT 2018, I wrote:

>> I can't figure out where fvwm is getting the xpm icon for an xterm.
>> I have this in ~/.fvwm/config:
>> Style "XTerm"       Icon null.xpm, SloppyFocus, IconBox 200x200-1+8
>> where null.xpm is intended to call /usr/share/pixmaps/fvwm/null.xpm, a
>> zero-byte file I created.

On Monday, September 17, 2018 9:41 AM, Thomas Schmitt replied:

> Maybe fvwm is not happy with the zero size.
> What happens if you put a file with a picture there ?

If I put ANY other xpm there, I still see an icon that matches
/usr/share/pixmaps/mini.xterm_48x48.xpm or a live window screenshot.

> Did you already try searches like
>    find /usr -name mini.xterm_48x48.xpm

In fact I obsessively viewed all 386 xpm files on the whole system.  None
other than /usr/share/pixmaps/mini.xterm_48x48.xpm matched the icon
displayed.

> Does "live window screenshot" mean that the icon is willing to execute
> blindly toggled shell commands ?

Yes.  If I put the cursor in the little screenshot and type a command (echoed
in a font too small to read), it does execute there.

> The icon pixmap is probably
>   /usr/share/X11/fvwm2/pixmaps/display.xpm
> but the same one is also in
>   /usr/share/pixmaps/fvwm/display.xpm

I have the second of those.  It gives an error about a corrupt image when I
try to display it.

On Monday, September 17, 2018 12:43 PM, David Wright replied:

> I think the intention is that you use NoIcon for no icon.

I just tried this, and it causes .xinitrc to bring up the xterms in the
background with no icon whatsoever.  They show in a process list (ps), and if
I right-click on the desktop I can bring them up from the fvwm menu.  That's
not a bad solution (two clicks), but I was a little happier when I had an
icon with a small name bar and no picture (one click).

Thanks to all for the suggestions.