On Saturday 08 December 2018 17:53:01 Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
[...]
> The pid was there so that when writing and testing the script
> I could tell which was which in taskmanager, which saw them
> all as the same thing - an instance of the script language's
> interpreter being run.

I can see where that could, if you "got your head" around it, be pretty
handy. But half or more of my gcode mistakes are typu's. And the rs274D
interpretor is very VERY good at recommending you learn to type. ;-)

> The script is written in ooREXX; anyone who wants it can have
> a copy.  I expect somethig similar could be written in loads of
> other langages, but it's the one I know best.

Back when we did most of our scripting on amiga's, ARexx was the language
to top all the rest, but then when we got tired of the instability, and
I went to linux, where I found that neither Rexx nor Regina could get
past line 2 of any of my utilities without barfing all over itself as
neither of the "next gen" rexx's weren't anything like ARexx, which Bill
Hawes never got a damned dime from commode door for writing it, but it
had calls into every facility amigados had, so there weren't any fences
between what you wanted it to do, and what you could do. So I fell back
to bash. And while the bash docs are at least 250 pages, its not ARexx.
But it handles the coupling between fetchmail/procmail and kmail, so I
have virtually nothing to but reply and send, and hit the plus key to
read the next message. Computers are to reduce one's work, not multiply
it times 15. Call me lazy, but it "works for me"..

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)