On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:34:01AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> tomas writes:
> > I think bigcorps love that, because they hate the decentralized nature
> > of mail.
>
> I don't think they care (except that they don't want one of their
> competitors in control).

Oh, they do. You can't easily monetize mail (the interfaces are standard,
for a consumer it's easy to change providers), whereas with whichever
"platform" (Facebook, LinkedIn, Slack, Google+, younameit) the audience
is captive: changing provider means giving up on your network.

>                          Government hates it, of course.  It would have
> been easy to adopt anti-spam measures that would have made what you do
> impossible, but it wasn't done.

I have the impression you're being blindsided by ideology there. To me,
Bigcorp is like state (minus First Amendment).

> > Spam pressure plus measures making the live of small mail providers
> > [difficult] help centralization.
>
> This is true.  People also seem to like centralization, unfortunately.
>
> > This is what I call Emergent Evil. I thon't think there's a single
> > person out there scheming out those things, but a corporation as a
> > whole does come up with that kind of perverse behaviour.
>
> Better "emergent evil" (I've seen the term elsewhere) than the "devil"
> theory but I don't think it is useful to talk about evil at all.  They
> are just people doing what works for them (even in government, the
> biggest and most powerful bigcorp of all).

I had early and intense religious education. Not trying to offend
anyone, but I had my share of devil and then some. These days I
prefer to make do without :-)

Cheers
-- t