tomas writes:
> This is one of those cases: if you're using a piece of non-free
> software, you should know about it, and you should know which buy
> decision led to it (so you can take that into account at your next buy
> decision).

There is also a practical reason to keep non-free for the benefit of
downstream distributions, CD makers, etc.  Some of the licenses on stuff
in non-free make it ok for Debian to distribute the stuff but attempt to
place restrictions on what recipients can do with it.  As long as you
stick to Main you need only read the DFSG to know what your
redistribution rights are.  As soon as you go into Non-free you have to
study each license.

This can even hit end-users.  Non-free licenses can contain clauses
barring "commercial use" (without defining the term) and other similar
restrictions.  This package is not in Debian, but I recall a "free" text
editor that was distributed on the Net back in the last century that
barred use by the South African police.  It would have qualified for
inclusion in Non-free.
--
John Hasler
jhas...@newsguy.com