On 10/08/19 9:25 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 08:56:01PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
>> That's true of the timestamps that are part of the filesystem metadata,
>> but not true of any timestamps included in the file content itself - eg
>> as part of log lines. I don't know which Russell is concerned about.
>
> In the non-expert mode, the Buster installer suggested that if the
> user requires a time zone other than those shown, he should go back to
> the COUNTRY menu and select a country in the time zone he desired.

I think that's fair for a different country - the chances you're
installing in/for the US and want French time are minimal. But I agree
UTC should always be available.

> One thing which concerned me about that suggestion was the possibility
> of changing the locale settings, with the result that, for example,
> the system might be using a British spelling checker rather than an
> American spelling checker, and perhaps pounds and pence rather than
> dollars and cents.
>
> Why would the installer suggest to the non-expert user such a
> complicated fix, rather than presenting to the non-expert user the
> same timezone menu presented to the expert user?

I have to admit, I almost always use expert mode, so I'm not familiar
with what is available in the 'normal' mode.

> As to file creation and access datestamps, what time is shown by, for
> example, the "ls -al" command if I select central time zone?  Do I see
> Central times, or UTC?  When examining file creation and access times,
> I simply wish all files always to be datestamped in UTC.

ls -l will show the timestamps adjusted for your chosen local timezone.
They're stored in UTC.

Unless, of course, you've subverted the system by selecting the UTC
timezone and then set the clock so it looks right locally. Then it will
all be broken.

Richard