On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 08:38:47AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 12:16:04PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > If you're desparate to get the timezone altered earlier in your
> > installation process, you could always do it manually: try switching
> > to VC2 and editing the file /target/etc/timezone to the string UTC
> > (the alternatives are simply the names of the files in
> > /usr/share/zoneinfo, including subdirectories). Obviously wait until
> > the file exists. (I've not tried this so I don't know when that is.)
>
> I'm skeptical that this would be sufficient.  Debian actually stores the
> system's default timezone in *two* different places, using two completely
> different mechanisms.  I have been led to believe that one of these is
> "standard" for GNU/Linux-based systems, and the other is for backward
> compatibility.
>
> wooledg:~$ ls -ld /etc/*time*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 46 Apr 10  2017 /etc/adjtime
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Apr  1 08:58 /etc/localtime ->
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17 Apr  1 08:58 /etc/timezone
>
> The first one is the /etc/timezone file, which as you say, is a
> simple text file that a (root) user can edit.  I believe this is the
> backward-compatibility one.

FWIW, I see /etc/timezone mentioned in the libc docs, whereas
I can't find /etc/timezone there.

So I'd guess /etc/timezone to be the relevant one for libc
(but there might be other important subsystems). Apt doesn't
say anything (I'd expect that -- those two files are more
typically taken care of in some post-install).

This all is from a very cursory glance, so take it with the
appropriate fist of salt.

Cheers
-- t