On 8/12/2019 9:23 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 08:23:17AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:
I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found
that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing
something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.

With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port
of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When
I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting
'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name,
Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access
denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing
the connection.

What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?

Regards,

-Roberto

In /var/log/messages NOTHING and that is so maddening.  I have tried to get it to log something, anything and
it won't.