From: Dan Ritter
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:26:18 -0400
> Set the background to transparent.

Menus: Layer > Tranparency > Add Alpha Channel. The new viewer remains
black.  Might be transparent. Might not.  (If all else fails, will see
what happens when the arrow is dropped on the image layer.  If the
result has the appearance of the arrow layer, the arrow background is
not transparent and my image is obscured.)

Really I don't understand the representation used in GIMP. From what
I've read, there are three channels, R, G, B.  OK.  Plus an optional
4th, alpha. What is it?

What is the point of alpha? Transparent should be simply no marking.
RGB = (0,0,0). What does alpha represent?

Thanks,                         ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca