On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 01:22:27PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 07:14:01PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > So it boils down to "MTA needs care on a regular basis" and "some
> > blacklist can add your MTA for no good reason". First one is universal
> > (applies to any Internet-facing service), second one can be beat with a
> > creative use of hosting. Also, https://mxtoolbox.com. A non-free
> > service, but a useful one.
>
> Way to oversimplify, and "creative use of hosting" basically means
> "hope and pray". It's also not actually true that there's hosting
> magic which makes you immune to blacklist stupidity unless your
> hosting is gmail or something equally too large to block.

Unless a blacklist adds victims by AS number, a change of MTA's IP
(hence the hosting) and an appropriate DNS reconfiguration is
sufficient to sidestep it.
Of course, one can get an already blacklisted IP, so a certain amount of
"hope and pray" applies here.

> > With all it's disadvantages, SMTP is one of the few examples of
> > successful federated (i.e. - non-centralized) form of Internet
> > communications. The other ones are slowly dying IRC and dead XMPP.
> > So I disagree. They can put all the fancy additions (like SPF, DMARC and
> > DANE) to it, but SMTP has a strong chance to outlive a current
> > generation.
>
> We can agree to disagree. I think like the regular old telephone,
> people will suddenly realize that as a communication tool the noise is
> outweighing the signal and drop it.

Landlines still have their use here. They are shrinking to business and
government communications, sure. But it's curious how many people still
rely on that "you leave your job at office" principle.

> In my experience with the younger generation, they already don't
> consider email a primary means of communication except within a closed
> environment like a school.

That's something I agree with. Still, I propose to wait until
post-Generation Z gets their first job.

> In business the trend is increasingly toward outsourcing email to a
> large cloud provider (e.g., MS/outlook) so a future in which
> businesses mainly communicate between a small number of very large
> providers is not all that remote.

The trend is here, sure, as long as you consider small business.
Large one - not so much.

> > I somehow doubt that Debian project membership requires to be an expert
> > in any MTA, or to have any system administration skills for that matter.
> > In another words, of course it's not normal, but is something that's to
> > be expected.
>
> So which is it? A small email domain isn't a big deal to manage or it is?

I saw no unsolvable problems in doing it so far, hence my interest to
your statements. And yes, I do not consider myself an expert in all
things related to SNMP, MTAs and the like.

Reco