On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 10:46:11AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> >>Well, actual real-world experience shows that to not be true.
> >

> >You should (noisily) bring out that case!
>
> Why? This isn't exactly news. It seems that some people are living
> in a fantasy world where there are no false positives and that
> people selling blacklists care.

I can just offer my own experience. After having implemented
SPF & DKIM (over a year ago) I had just one problem with a
not-delivered mail (German provider web.de). Their SMTP bounced
the message with an informative text. After complaining to them,
they fixed it.

Before SPF & DKIM, big providers (outlook.com, gmail among others)
tended to dump my messages into the receiver's spam folder (an
especially underhanded way of dropping a message without actually
dropping it).

So from my POV, care & feeding of an own SMTP server is some work,
yes, but perfectly doable.

There is some responsability on us, who can do it, to keep it
around for as long as possible: mail is still a decentralized
protocol, and that is very valuable.

Throwing up my hands and saying "it can't be done" is not an
option for me.

Cheers
-- tomás