Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Why is xorriso more appropriate for *MY* _stated_ immediate goal?

This is not decided yet.
We have the proposal to use xorriso with incremental backups on some
raw storage devices or on some data files in filesystems on backup disks.
We have the proposal to use rsync on backup disks where trees of the
original disks get mirrored to backup trees. Typically with the same
filesystem type as on the original disks.

The main difference between both proposals is in ithe intrinsic backup
fidelity of copying between filesystems of the same type (rsync wins) and
the capability of incremental backups to retrieve the original state of
each update stage of the backup. I.e. you can mount the backup of each day,
compare it with other days, or retrieve a file state which has already been
replaced by several subsequent backups which recorded the already damaged
file. (xorriso wins here.)

But the backup fidelity of xorriso is high, and rsync could copy to backup
filesystems which are capable of snapshotting their older states.
So it is still undecded.
... and some other backup systems have not been mentioned yet.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas