On Wednesday 18 September 2019 11:20:22 John Hasler wrote:

> Your scope could show you eye patterns but that's probably of little
> use.  You need to look at all three data channels and the clock (these
> are differential so you need eight inputs) and trigger on patterns.
> otherwise all you will learn is that the interface is clocking.
Given the present state, John, even that could be enlightening.

I took the card I had prepared out and swapped it for the card with
raspbian stretch on it, and from the activity of the green led it is
booting, but despite going out and dancing on the keyboard for about 5
minutes, its not starting the ssh server, so I can't access it from
here.  So I've swapped back to the raspbian stretch card, then looked up
the man page for sysctl and rechanged the host and domain names, and
rebooted to see if they stuck. This time they did stay as set, so thats
one roadblock out of the way.

Next is add it to my /sshnet so I can move files
into /sshnet/rpi4/home/pi's home dir. I have a copy of linuxcnc-master I
built on the pi3 about 4 weeks back that dpkg should be able to install,
its running on a stretch install on the rpi3 right now, at which time I
should be able to test the newly re-written driver, after I hook up a
partially blown mesa 7i90HD card for the driver to hunt for. For that,
I'll need to make a 26 pin cable 2 or 3" long.  If I can see the mesa
card init, you'll be able to hear the whoopee from there.  But that also
implies the heat sink I don't have yet, there's no sinks on it now, nor
do I have the video adapters, yet.

In the meantime  I'm giving this wallmart thing my best immitation of a
Sam Elliot look of disbelief. But even if I grow a cookie duster that
would likely get giggles from the audience. ;-)

One really fugly thought keeps drifting into view, and that is that the
rpi4 needs a whole new video driver setup. In that event, the raspian
buster 10.1 should be making nice, speedy video even while its booting.
But its not.  Sigh...

Thanks John.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)