On Wednesday 18 September 2019 12:58:25 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-09-18 18:20:43)

> > > On modern systems you would probably need to be doing terabyte
> > > transfers between disks on the same machine.  Back in the days
> > > when a megabyte was a lot dd was *much* faster.
> > >
> > > On an SD card I think that the write speed of the card is probably
> > > the limiting factor.
> >
> > It is, and the makers lie a lot, taking advantage of the buffering
> > to get thier 100 MBs rating for small writes. For gigabyte transfers
> > I often see sub 20 MB/S toward the end. But you may want to steer
> > clear of the 64GB+ cards, exfat is creeping into the sdhc arena, and
> > I either have a defective NEW PNY 64GB, or this stretch install
> > can't touch it because its exfat.  I bought 2 recently, same exact
> > part number, slightly different card gfx, the 85 meg rated one
> > doesn't mention exfat, works, the 100 MB/S rated one mentions exfat
> > and is untouchable.
>
> Regarding quality of SD cards, I trust advices from Thomas Kaiser.
>
> Here's his advice on which brands to trust:
> > Only a few vendors on this planet run NAND flash memory fabs, only a
> > few companies produce flash memory controllers and have the
> > necessary know-how in house. And only a few combine their own NAND
> > flash with their own controllers to their own retail products.
> > That's the simple reason why at least I only buy SD cards from these
> > 4 brands: Samsung, SanDisk, Toshiba, Transcend
>
> Above quote is from
> https://forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd-card-performance/page/3/?tab=co
>mments#comment-49811 which is linked from front page intro to that
> thread - as part of this more general advice + warning not to waste
> time reading the whole
>
> thread:
> > Warning: This whole thread is only about historical information now
> > since it's 2018 and we can buy inexpensive and great performing A1
> > rated SD cards in the meantime. Buying anything else is a mistake so
> > directly jump to the end of the thread for performance numbers and
> > recommendations.
>
> On a related note, here's Kaiser's more detailed notes on A1/A2
> rating:
> https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowledge/blob/master/articles/A1_and_
>A2_rated_SD_cards.md

That also seems to be somewhat dated.  And rather Sandisk promoting. So I
bought another to see if they were still as bad as a year ago. About a
buck cheaper than the other name brands. I don't have any left from the
3 or 4 I did have, having destroyed the last 32GB in the after install
update of about 300 pkgs.  So my preference has been not to buy any more
SanDisk.

I was going to get another micro hdmi adapter but somebody bought the
last one and its peg has been re-assigned to something else.  So I'm
stuck playing over an ssh login till whenever.

>  - Jonas

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis