Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-09-18 18:20:43)
> On Wednesday 18 September 2019 11:36:41 John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Jonas writes:
> > > Please demonstrate just one single example of dd being faster than
> > > cp to transfer a full raw image to a raw device!
> >
> > On modern systems you would probably need to be doing terabyte
> > transfers between disks on the same machine.  Back in the days when
> > a megabyte was a lot dd was *much* faster.
> >
> > On an SD card I think that the write speed of the card is probably
> > the limiting factor.
>
> It is, and the makers lie a lot, taking advantage of the buffering to
> get thier 100 MBs rating for small writes. For gigabyte transfers I
> often see sub 20 MB/S toward the end. But you may want to steer clear
> of the 64GB+ cards, exfat is creeping into the sdhc arena, and I
> either have a defective NEW PNY 64GB, or this stretch install can't
> touch it because its exfat.  I bought 2 recently, same exact part
> number, slightly different card gfx, the 85 meg rated one doesn't
> mention exfat, works, the 100 MB/S rated one mentions exfat and is
> untouchable.

Regarding quality of SD cards, I trust advices from Thomas Kaiser.

Here's his advice on which brands to trust:

> Only a few vendors on this planet run NAND flash memory fabs, only a
> few companies produce flash memory controllers and have the necessary
> know-how in house. And only a few combine their own NAND flash with
> their own controllers to their own retail products. That's the simple
> reason why at least I only buy SD cards from these 4 brands: Samsung,
> SanDisk, Toshiba, Transcend

Above quote is from
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd-card-performance/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-49811

which is linked from front page intro to that thread - as part of this
more general advice + warning not to waste time reading the whole
thread:

> Warning: This whole thread is only about historical information now
> since it's 2018 and we can buy inexpensive and great performing A1
> rated SD cards in the meantime. Buying anything else is a mistake so
> directly jump to the end of the thread for performance numbers and
> recommendations.

On a related note, here's Kaiser's more detailed notes on A1/A2 rating:
https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowledge/blob/master/articles/A1_and_A2_rated_SD_cards.md

 - Jonas