The Wanderer (12019-10-31):
> IMO, the correct behavior should indeed be the same for lists as for
> private mail: reply to the source from which you received the message.

... and everybody who got it too.

For example, if I reply to:

# From: Colleague
# To: Me
# Cc: Boss

it should be:

# From: Me
# To: Colleague
# Cc: Boss

> I am subscribed to dozens of mailing lists, and have been active on most
> or all of them at various points in time. To get reply behavior to be
> correct on all of them, I would need to set Reply-To to a different
> value for each one.

You do not need that because most mailing-list software does it for you:
if you are subscribed to the mailing-list and there is no reply-to
address in your mail, it sets it to the list.

Debian is amongst the few mailing-lists that do not do that. This comes
from the influence of the dogmatic people who wrote the infamous
“"Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful” document and designed a
suboptimal solution instead.

> I know of no way to get a mail client to automatically set Reply-To
> differently depending on what message is being replied to

Possible with Mutt:

send-hook . "unmy_hdr Reply-To:"
send-hook ~cdebian-u...@lists.debian.org my_hdr "Reply-To:
debian-user@lists.debian.org"

> It should not be the responsibility of every sender to contrive some
> configuration to automatically set Reply-To (or other non-default)
> headers correctly for every different mailing list.

I agree with that. Unfortunately, the Debian mailing-list makes it
necessary.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George