On 15 Dec 2003 at 3:24, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 06:59:58PM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> > Okay, I just installed the VNC package and successfully accessed a KDE
> > desktop from my Windows-98 system.  And I must say, I became instantly
> > enamored with VNC.  However, I now have a bunch of questions.
> <snip>
>
> I suggest you peruse the documentation in /usr/share/doc/vncserver.
> Especially the README.inetd file.

Okay, I looked over the README.inetd file and made the supposedly
appropriate changes, as follows:

In /etc/services

vnc-1024x768x32 5950/tcp
vnc-1024x768x24 5951/tcp
vnc-1024x768x16 5952/tcp
vnc-1024x768x8  5953/tcp
vnc-800x600x32  5954/tcp
vnc-800x600x24  5955/tcp
vnc-800x600x16  5956/tcp
vnc-800x600x8   5957/tcp
vnc-640x480x32  5958/tcp
vnc-640x480x24  5959/tcp
vnc-640x480x16  5960/tcp
vnc-640x480x8   5961/tcp

In  /etc/inetd.conf

vnc-1024x768x32  stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-1024x768x24  stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-1024x768x16  stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-1024x768x8   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$

vnc-800x600x32   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-800x600x24   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-800x600x16   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-800x600x8    stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$

vnc-640x480x32   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-640x480x24   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-640x480x16   stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$
vnc-640x480x8    stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty
/usr/bin/X11/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query localh$

The next couple instructions listed assume the use of kdm instead of gdm:

alter /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc to change
Enable=false to Enable=true

change /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc/Xaccess to allow connections.

What would the gdm equivalents be (in other words, is there a gdmrc file
that I need to find?  I have no idea where it would be.)  Or would it be
in gdm.conf (in which I could not find any lines like the above)?

So, unsure of what to do for those two steps, i went on to the next
one...

change Enable=false to Enable=true in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Also, I went ahead and did an apt-get remove xinetd to uninstall xinetd,
as these instructions assume just good old inetd, and I thought that
perhaps the two were conflicting with each other.  After that, I did
inetd restart, and for good measure gdm-restart.

What else do I need to do?

Oh, and after looking at everything I posted above here, I am now
wondering...  Since the lines added to /etc/inetd.conf call Xvnc, is it
possible that I am calling up the wrong server when I test this stuff
manually?  I've been using vncserver :59xx...