On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Reco <recovery...@enotuniq.net> wrote:

> (how
> user
> people
> > >
> > > Moreover, it brings two interesting aspects of the problem:
> > >
> > > 1) By its design the Discourse relies on Javascript executing in user's
> > > browser. While Discourse itself may be the free software, such usage of
> > > Discourse violates Software Freedom 1 ("change it so it does your
> > > computing as you wish").
> >
> > I understand the concern with Javascript. I have read what there is of
> > Discourse using Lynx. Am I missing out an anything?
>
> Wow. Just wow. Thank you for the idea.
> I confirm that it's enough to use any text-based browser (be it lynx,
> links or w3m) to read, say, discourse.mozilla.org.
> Cannot comment if it's possible to participate there with these fine
> browsers (the answers is probably "no"), but it's a start.

Okay.  I have a Text only Server (due to a Mouse issue with our Kindred
Distro, Devuan), and so put this to the test.

First, w3m apparently doesn't do Redirects, instead, giving the short page,
*describing* the Redirect to come.  (I remember these from using wget).

However, I got a good page, using lynx. (Hard to read, as I'm sure the
Pictures describe a lot of what Discourse is trying to do).  And it was
amusing to see the bottom of the page, with the message:  "Powered by
Discourse, best viewed with Javascript enabled".

So, at least with Lynx, the page will load without Javascript.

On a Laptop of mine, I have an old version of Firefox, with the "NoScript"
add-on.  I wonder how it would work there.  If I find out anything good,
I'll check back in.

Thank you!

Kenneth Parker