On Wed 17 Jun 2020 at 14:26:31 +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 06:51:18AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Clarification of my immediate goal:
> >
> > Using the ISO of DVD1 I wish to install Debian with "recommends"
> > disabled during the installation process.
>
> I can't give you an authoritative answer for this one, sorry.

Section 5.3.2 of the Installation Guide has the preseed option

 recommends=false

as the way of disabling recommended packages:

  By setting this option to false, the package management system
  will be configured to not automatically install "Recommends",
  both during the installation and for the installed system.

My observations indicate that the first claim does not work for
installing the base system or additional software, but the second
configuration is carried out.

It seems me that Richard's goal is unachievable.

> > The purpose is to determine if I want to do future installs debootstrap.
> > I attempted to use debootstrap a few years ago and understand it
> > will take some time/effort to learn it.
>
> Once you actually start customizing your installs, a combo of debootstrap
> and an apt cache is unbeatable, Yes, there's some slope to take, but the
> view from up there is magnific :-)

Section 6.3.5 of the Installation Guide says:

  For technical reasons packages installed during the installation
  of the base system are installed without their "Recommends".

I observere this is not correct, irrespective of "recommends=false".

--
Brian.