Hi,

Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> "This statement is false" isn't really anything profound.  It does
> illustrate there can exist internally inconsistent logical entities, but
> really it is merely an artifact of the situation that just because a string
> of words is grammatically correct does not imply it has any meaning.

Yes. Antinomies are painful and the reflex to call them meaningless
is not far to seek.
But the movement of logicism tried to rule out such statements and
after decades of effort faded away, discouraged by the insight that no
list of axioms can unambiguously identify the "meaningless" statements.

In the end, we have to face the fact that there are statements which
have no truth value. And that is what i wanted to emphasize to defute
the argument that either "P" or "not P" must be true for all statements P.

>         Is this really a good discussion for the Debian User list?

Probably not. But what else shall i do with my memories form a year of
model theory lectures ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas