Brian wrote:
> On Mon 22 Jun 2020 at 17:46:40 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > I'm trying to switch from screen to tmux and for the life of me cannot
> > make it work the way I like. I have screen create multiple windows on
> > startup, by the following lines in ~/screenrc:
> >
> > screen -t localhost 0
> > screen -t foo 1
> > screen -t bar 2
> > screen -t mail 3
> > select 0
> >
> > I've tried multiple variants of ~/.tmux.conf and cannot make it start
> > with 4 windows. Tried different combinations of new-session, new-window,
> > attach-session, select-window and whatever, but when I run tmux, I just
> > see a single window.
> >
> > What would be the equivalent of the above screen commands?
>
> A search with
>
>   tmux start three windows

It is not news for me that Google exists :-)

> brings up items that look like they would be useful.

They look so but in fact they are not. They are mostly about starting
several tmux windows from a wrapper script like in
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5609192/how-to-set-up-tmux-so-that-it-starts-up-with-specified-windows-opened#5752901
and https://gist.github.com/todgru/6224848 and others.

I'm sure this should be possible from ~/.tmux.conf but the limited
variants I've found online did not work for me.

If from personal experience you have a working solution, I'd be most
grateful.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/