Hello,

If you want the desktop environment to be started automatically check that
systemd is configured to run in graphical environment

 $> systemctl set-default graphical.target

If this is already setup, and you can launch your DE with startx, check also
that mate is the default DE with update-alternatives(8) or you can add the
startx command in /etc/profile.

Hope this helps.