On 06/29/2020 09:12 AM, davidson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/28/2020 09:36 AM, echo test wrote:
Hello,

If you want the desktop environment to be started automatically
check that systemd is configured to run in graphical environment

  $> systemctl set-default graphical.target

If this is already setup, and you can launch your DE with startx,
check also that mate is the default DE with update-alternatives(8)
or you can add the startx command in /etc/profile.

That manpage was intriguing, if not educational. I went searching
for "update-alternatives tutorials". They all referenced Ubuntu and
each covered only one instance.

I'm looking for something that aims to answer "What can
update-alternatives do for me today?".

Have you reviewed any notes regarding what it did for you yesterday?

Yesterday's problems stemmed from installing mate-desktop-environment rather than task-mate-desktop ;{

If so inclined, you could review the thread which begins with this
post:

lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1e117e50-2f61-a487-9663-9b0a8a5b2...@cloud85.net