On Mon 06 Jul 2020 at 23:08:29 (+0000), davidson wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 David Wright wrote:
>
> > I presume XCompose(3) is a typo for 5, the file format section.
>
> Probably not. Here we have
> […]
> and hence
>
>   $ man -w 3 XCompose
>   /usr/share/man/man5/Compose.5.gz
>
>   $ man -w 5 XCompose
>   /usr/share/man/man5/Compose.5.gz
>
> Which is to say, XCompose(5) and XCompose(3) refer to the same
> document.

Fair enough; I didn't know someone had dropped this alias into
section 3; it certainly looks out of place. But I keep well away
from X11 calls, and hence libx11-doc, and would advise the OP
to do so also:

Package: libx11-doc
Description-en: X11 client-side library (development documentation)
 This package provides a client interface to the X Window System, otherwise
 known as 'Xlib'.  It provides a complete API for the basic functions of the
 window system.
 This package contains supplemental documentation for the library found in
 libx11-6. Non-developers likely have little use for this package.

Having just looked at the OP again (via the HTML this time),
I see there's an external link to that library (which my lynx
suppresses). So it's possible the OP hasn't installed libx11-doc.

Cheers,
David.