On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 3:52 PM deloptes <delop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Curley wrote:
>
> > I hope so. All I need is console capabilities, security software
> > (firewall, etc.) and server software. I don't need an office suite or web
> > browser for those machines.
>
> Same here. So it means we have 2-4years to get ready.
> I guess one needs a bit more in order to compile the code ... you need at
> least the compiler and companions. I now compile only the kernel in chroot
> as it was pointed out because debian moved away from pure 586 and also
> there is a kind of magic combination of features for the Geode board I use,
> so that the stock kernel never worked past 2.13.
>
> So the question is (as we are already on the topic) when debian drops the
> support, what would be required to build the code.
> Are compilers going to stop supporting 386 arch?
> Is it going to disappear from the kernel completely?
> Is it going to get fixes and how?

I already have one machine that runs awesomely with Ubuntu 6.06 (vintage
2006!)

I have had mixed experiences with later releases, including a persistent
Black Screen with Debian Wheezy.  Stretch "kind of works" (with slow
Graphics).  So why do I keep it?  Best Sound System of  *any*  computer I
have  *ever*  owned! So it has two, basic Partitions:  One for Stretch and
one for Ubuntu 6.  (And yes, I don't regularly put Ubuntu 6 on the open
Internet).

Kenneth Parker