Hi.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:33:39PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:12:05PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Makes you wonder how long it [X.org] will be around; I guess a fair while
> > > though.
> >
> > I can't see why it'd need to be around for very long, given that it can
> > be replaced by Wayland + Xwayland.  So Xorg is only useful to the extent
> > that it supports hardware that Wayland doesn't.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you *can't*
> use an X window manager with Wayland.

You're right. Xorg is a server, any window manager on top of it is
merely an X client (a special one, but an interchangeable client).
Wayland is not a server, it's a set of protocols. An implementation of
these protocols inherently provides a set of functions that are provided
by window manager on top of X, X itself, panel, copy-paste to name a
few.
Running a window manager in Xwayland is theoretically possible, but
practically it'll be worthless.

> You're stuck using one of the window managers or desktop environments
> that has been ported to Wayland.

More precise, "that implement Wayland protocol". And considering a
current state of testing, one can choose GNOME, KDE, weston or sway.
That's it, unless one builds something else from the source.

That means no openbox, twm, icewm, or your favorite panel (because it's
a special extension of a Wayland protocol) if you're planning on using
Wayland.

> If that's not true, then that changes a *lot*.

I wish it too, but it's deliberately not possible.

Reco