On Sun 03 Jan 2021 at 06:58:24 (-0500), Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> My main computer runs  Debian Buster and is displaying some unusual
> behavior.
>
> The monitor is blanking, without warning, at random times, and
> restoring the screen  while I working. There is no warning, nor does
> the computer seem to be overheating (I continuously monitor the
> temperature).
>
> I rather suspect that it may be a hardware problem. I keep the
> software up to date.
>
> I am querying this group because I can't think of a more knowledgeable
> source. Any thoughts and suggestions of things that I might be able to
> test will be very welcome.

What sort of connection do you have between the computer and the
monitor? We have an HP Spectre that developed an unreliable HDMI
socket within 27 months. The symptoms were as you described.
Being a laptop, the cure was to run the display through the
USB-C port with a hub (dual HDMI, ethernet, dual USB3).

OTOH the worst I've experienced with VGA was flickering colour
balance from dirty/worn pins.

Cheers,
David.