On 05/15/2021 07:18 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
I don't grok loop devices. [...]
Also the article I read evidently took advantage of "mount" being able to
loop mount without the loop option being explicitly referenced.

Yes. mount is smart enough to see that your "device" is a data file and
that it has to use a loop device.
A little test as superuser with already existing directory /mnt/iso:

   # mount debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso /mnt/iso
   mount: /dev/loop0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
   # ls /mnt/iso
   EFI
   win32-loader.ini

So it used the existing /dev/loop0. If no idle loop device is available
then it will create a new one.

See in man mount the section
   THE LOOP DEVICE

I wish to have the ISO's of all install DVDs on a dedicated
partition of my hard drive as a local repository.

You could mount them all, e.g. by a script which knows all their names
and the desired mount points. Each mount point would need its own line
in sources.list.

That raises a couple of questions.

IIRC there was a limit on the number of loop devices created {8?}.
Is there any default limit now?

Also, I notice the phrase "auto-destruction of loop devices".
That raises a red flag. Might I lose one (or more) of my loop devices without some intentional explicit action by me?????

[snip discussion of extracting pool directories and possible uses of xorriso for possible later discussion]

Thanks.