Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Sharing because while tts is indeed  part of adaptive technology for many,
> and Linux default speech synthesis is not always of the best quality, the
> use of tts across devices serving the general public is  becoming more
> extensive as well.
> There is an effort at change.org asking Microsoft to makes its tts engine
> eloquence, open source.
>
> https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-open-source-eti-eloquence
>

> If this resonates, please sign and circulate. its one of those  situations
> where adaptive technology and general technology can intersect in a
> positive way.

It resonates a lot - as I wrote thesis on dialogue systems and I got very
disappointed by the facts I came across. IMO all technologies that were
financed with public money (i.e. DARPA) should be made publicly available.
In fact AFAIK there is only one engine (the mother of all) that was
developed by Phillips and IBM - who knows who owns the pattents now ... I
would be surprised if Google, Microsoft and Amazon funded research
themselves.

In fact there was a Linux version of IBMs ViaVoice but was so bad and was
killed later around 2005. We are in THE MIDDLE AGES right now. Only people
got too stupid to understand.

I will no subscribed because it does not make any sense to request something
from 2002 - you/we should request everything that was publicly funded to be
available/benefitting the public or revolt.