On Wed, 19 May 2021 18:32:56 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mi, 19 mai 21, 11:06:44, Celejar wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 May 2021 17:27:16 +0300
> > Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > At least they are easy to replace, or for other components (e.g. CPU
> > > fan) the manual with detailed explanations is readily available (been
> > > there, done that).
> >
> > True, although "easy" is debatable. I suppose that if I could do it, it
> > must be easy :/, and I'm sure it's easier than with other machines.
>
> Let me qualify that then: at least to replace the CPU fan assembly for
> my late R61 all I needed was a suitable screwdriver, basic dexterity,
> some other means to display the manual and patience.
>
> According to the instructions one should be using new screws every time,
> but reusing them once or twice is possible, unless the heads are
> destroyed in the process.
>
> There are probably tear-downs available on Youtube for those who would
> like to see that for themselves.

I was referring to replacing the keyboard, and I suppose the
requirements were similar: suitable (commonly available) screwdriver,
some dexterity, a means of displang the manual, definitely patience
(and time). But it was also a bit difficult to figure out which things
had to be pushed where, and how hard. (And deciphering FRUs and other
part IDs and figuring out exactly which versions were compatible with
my machine wasn't the easiest thing in the world, either. But I suppose
that's still worlds better than the non-existence of field-replacable
parts in the first place ;))

The first try didn't work - I panicked when the machine wouldn't accept
my LUKS passphrase on boot. It turns out that I hadn't pushed
something in far enough, or something like that, so although some of
the keys were working, some weren't. (I really hate the fact that
there's often no option to get the system to display entered passwords
- I know we've discussed this in the past, but I really don't
understand why it isn't at least an option that can be set for
troubleshooting.)

Celejar