Hi,

On 2021-06-28 10:12 p.m., Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, at 8:33 AM, Peter Ehlert wrote:
>>> X clients like MATE don't directly depend on an X server, because in
>>> theory, the X server could be on a different machine.
>
> I'd love to be able to do that!  E.g. a headless machine with plenty of RAM
> and CPU power to run Mate, but located in a locked building on the other side
> of campus.
>
> What do I need to install to do that?  And what are the configuration options?

There's plenty of book you can find by searching on Google with the
subject "X11 architecture" or something similar.

Simply made,
You have the server (the part the display on a screen, ex all the
xserver-xorg-*)
and
You have the client (the software that ask stuff to be displayed, ex : GIMP)
Plus you have a window manager that give a "look" to the windows example
Gnome / KDE / TWM...

What will make it possible to choose where the client display is by
setting DISPLAY variable.

You'll find some info about all of this by reading the Debian Handbook
and the Wiki.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside